For Father's day my class shared pictures and reasons why they loved their Dad. One that stuck out to me was " I love my Dad because he lets me play on the iPad lots" I thought of my response at age 5; 'He mows the lawns into treasure maizes... He reads me stories and sings funny songs. Should I be feeling surprised or is this the norm now? Recently I have noticed during our sharing time or in response to " how was your weekend?" I have noted that more often than not children in my class report back on having a great time in the weekend on their Mums iPad or got to play a really cool game on Dad's phone. Being a decile 10 school almost all of my students have full time working parents. It breaks my heart to know that the limited time they have with their children is often spent on a screen. Technology is all around them but is it always a positive influence? With out wanting to feel like I was judging the hard working parents of my class, I went searching for blogs and forums that were discussing this. My interest was sparked and I found a trend in the material I came across.
A current trend that captivates my attention is therefore is ' The rapid growth of technology and how it is changing our lives"
"Trends themselves are shaped by education and manefest within it." ( OECD, 2017) Over the last few years technology has made a huge influence in the lives of students both at home and at school. Wether we like it or not it has changed the way we communicate, work and even socialise. This is not limited to the 5 year old students I teach every day. When reading a book about sending letters I am asked if thats the same as Facetime. This is their world and what they know. It is hard not to be amazed and laugh at the same time! When communicating with parents it is over Skype because they are overseas or through email at 8pm in the evening. Socialising with others in my classroom can be seen in the collaborative approach to using our iPads or computers.
I believe this trend is relevant to my practice and the practice of all teachers as we are preparing our students for the future, an ever changing and developing future. Our students need to be prepared and teachers need to have a clear awareness around this issue. As Council (2017) discusses "Technology will continue to empower individuals, small groups, corporations, and states, as well as accelerate the pace of change and spawn new complex challenges, discontinuities, and tensions" My students at the age of 5 are using iPads to create books, recording their learning through apps such as book creator, using interactive technology to consolidate learning. They are in this world and the future is so unpredictable.
It’s hard not to open any form of media and see the articles and images that are linked to technology. View points and research form all angles are presented on many different forums.
Trends Shaping Education (2016) highlighted some interesting questions to be considered by educators.
- Where and how technology can be better used in the classroom?
- How can we as teachers keep pace with modern society?
- How does the traditional ways of teaching, researching learning for example compete with everything being at our fingertips, answers at the push of a button?
The NZ curriculum highlights that we must prepare students to confident, connected, actively involved life long learners (NZ curriculum, 2007). I have to ask my self; How am I doing this? Upon reflection I look at what I am doing in my classroom every. I am instilling social skills such as collaboration and clear communication, sharing and turn taking. Developing values of respect and care for others. Enlightening about safety around the internet, especially Youtube. These small things will prepare my students not to be cyber bullies or be excluded from society but confident connected involved learners for life.
Reference List:
Trends Shaping Education 2016 | OECD READ edition. (2017). OECD iLibrary. Retrieved 9 October 2017, from http://www.keepeek.com/Digital-Asset-Management/oecd/education/trends-shaping-education-2016_trends_edu-2016-en#page23
Council. (2017). Global trends: The Paradox of Progress. National Intelligence Council: US. Retrieved from https://www.dni.gov/files/images/globalTrends/documents/GT-Main-Report.pdf
Ministry of Education (2007) New Zealand Curriculum
No comments:
Post a Comment